The Criterion Theatre is committed to safeguarding the privacy of all visitors to our Theatre and to the website www.criteriontheatre.co.uk
What information do we collect from you?
The Criterion Theatre collects information under the legal base set out in the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (GDPR) of :
- a) Consent: the individual has given clear consent for you to process their personal data for a specific purpose.
- The Criterion Theatre may collect information that you provide to us for the purpose of purchasing tickets, subscribing to our website services, posting a message to the comments section of our website, email notifications, newsletters and/or marketing information. This may include your name, address, telephone number(s), email address, areas of Theatre skills and interest in Theatre activities, and purchase history.
- Credit/debit card details are not requested nor passed back to Criterion Theatre computer systems. Please see the separate section containing details of payment arrangements.
How do we use personal data?
We will use your personal information to process your bookings or orders and to provide you with the services, products or information you have requested. We may need to share your information with our service providers and agents for these purposes.
We also analyse the personal information that you and others provide in order to obtain a better understanding of our audiences and volunteers and improve the services that we have on offer.
The personal information you supply when you join our mailing list will be used by the Criterion Theatre to keep you up-to-date with events and activities.
When purchasing tickets you are given the opportunity to opt in to receiving news and information from the Criterion Theatre by either post and or email. Each e-mail we send you will offer the opportunity to opt out of these preferences and unsubscribe. You can also ask us to do this, by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. We may from time to time ask you for further information in order to update our records or for particular purposes.
We may collect generic information about your visits to and use of the Site such as your Internet Provider (IP) addresses, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit and number of page views. Individual users will not be identifiable from this information and we may use this information for a number of purposes such as optimising the use of the website or for security purposes. In particular, we may use an analytics service provider for website traffic analysis and reporting and to track information such as which browser and IP address you are using to access our website, in addition to tracking your movements around our website.
Sharing your information with others
Improving our understanding
From time to time we may conduct surveys and promotions and may request information from you as part of these. Participation in these is entirely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose any information which might be required.
Any materials or information that you post to the comments section of our website may be visible to other users and is stored on our servers for the purposes of making the Site and content available. We do not collect, store or use any personal information contained in any such post for any other purpose. We advise you to be selective about what information you post on the Site or that you provide to other users. We reserve the right to delete any posts or comments posted on the web site that are considered offensive and to remove access rights to the website from anyone persistently leaving such posts or comments.
Summary of how we use your data:
- To ensure that content from the website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with marketing communications, news and information about Theatre products, services and events that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To provide customer service in relation to your use of the website, to deal with enquiries and complaints relating to the use of the website and to notify you about changes to our service.
- To administer, support, improve and develop our website.
- To personalise the website so as to improve your user browsing experience.
- To internally monitor users use of the website to enable us to analyse audience make-up, track booking patterns, review audience attendance and review other website behaviour in order to determine what other products, services and events you may be interested in and in order to assist us improve our business generally.
How we protect information
Please note that there is no required maximum retention period for the personal information held by us.
How we deal with on-line payments
The Criterion Theatre ticketing system utilises a payment gateway provided by Stripe. The Stripe gateway provides a highly secure payment method (Level 1 PCI DSS), processing payments for thousands of on-line businesses, including ours. It is Stripe's utmost priority to ensure that transaction data is handled in a safe and secure way.
No card or banking details are stored at any stage of the process on Criterion Theatre computer systems. All payment transactions are handled by Stripe's secure servers.
Stripe is PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) compliant to the highest level and maintains regular security audits. They are also regularly audited by the banks and banking authorities to ensure that their systems are impenetrable.
In addition, you know that your session is in a secure encrypted environment when you see https:// in the web address, and/or when you see the locked padlock symbol alongside the URL.
So when buying through our site, you can be sure that you are completely protected.
More information about paying securely with Stripe can be found at www.stripe.com/gb
Links to Third Party Websites
The Criterion Theatre does link to other third party websites such as YouTube and Facebook. Please refer to the Cookies section later in this document for further information. Please note that Criterion Theatre is not responsible for the privacy policies of third party websites and recommends users to also check the privacy policies of other websites before registering any personal data linked to these sites.
Users under 18
If you are under 18, please ensure that you obtain your parent/guardian's consent beforehand whenever you provide Personal Information to the website. Users without such consent are not allowed to provide us with Personal Information.
What is a cookie?
Cookies are small pieces of information that are stored by your browser on your computer's hard drive. They make it possible for us to provide our online ticketing service and track visitor statistics, such as returning visitors and personalise content options.
Cookies enable us to recognise your computer when you visit our website and can therefore identify members or customers eligible for offers, identify your preferences and tailor your visit to suit your needs more accurately. Cookies also speed up your searches and improve the websites usability for marketing purposes.
Cookies set on www.criteriontheatre.co.uk fall into 4 main groups:
- Content Management System: The website does not set any cookies unless the user visits a secure page accessed via a personal log in. It then identifies the visitor's membership level and tracks that user's session.
- On-page analytics: Google Analytics (a free service offered by Google that generates detailed statistics about the visitors to a website) is used to track activity on every page.
This is the cookie used to track customers through the booking process and is essential to make the site function properly.
The system sets another cookie when users log in - this allows users to start the checkout process, or log in, and then go to a different part of the website. It is also essential to the functioning of the site.
Because some browsers (Cough, Safari) don't like Third Party Cookies by default - the site tries to set a test cookie before letting people start the booking process. If this fails, then customers are directed to a cookies help page. It is essential to the functioning of the site.
The Criterion Theatre Facebook page sets cookies according to YouTube's privacy and cookie policies, which will track users across Facebook web properties. Additional tracking and personalisation cookies will be set if a user logs in to this service, and this data is then stored by Facebook.
The Criterion Theatre Twitter profile page sets cookies for user tracking:
- Google Analytics (data received by Twitter)
- Twitter session and referrer tracking: Criterion Theatre's Twitter profile page sets cookies according to Twitter privacy and cookie policies, which will track users across Twitter's web properties. Additional tracking and personalisation cookies will be set if a user logs in to this service, and this data stored by Twitter.
The Criterion Theatre recommends that you allow cookies on your computer to enable us to provide you with the best possible service. If cookies are disabled we cannot guarantee the full functionality of the site.
For more information on cookies, please visit:
Please note that we are not responsible for information available on these websites
What should I do if I have a query, concern or issue about the collection and use of my personal information by the Criterion Theatre?
Please contact our Data Protection Officer on email@example.com who will deal promptly with any queries, concerns or issues.
There is a clear reporting line from our Data Protection Officer to the Board of Directors/Trustees through the Vicechair (firstname.lastname@example.org).